Johanna Faust, a mixed race Jew, prefers to publish pseudonymously. She is committed: first, to preventing war, ecological disaster, and nuclear apocalypse; last to not only fighting for personal privacy & the freedom of information, but, by representing herself as a soldier in that fight, to exhorting others to do the same. She is a poet, always. All these efforts find representation here: "ah, Mephistophelis" is so named after the last line of Christopher Marlowe's Dr. Faustus, whose heretical success flouted the censor for a time.

An Example Of Misinformation On Social Media Willfully Downplaying Coronavirus Danger





Now I think not preventing even one preventable death is a grievous mistake, & doing so on purpose, knowing the consequences, is a crime. 


But let’s leave that aside for the moment, and look at this conversation I had recently on Twitter. It was in response to a reply to the the above tweet:

 



I knew his numbers looked wrong, so I originally responded by working out what he was actually saying. (For the purposes of argument.)  

 

 

 

I left it there, being tired, and went to bed.


When I looked at it again I knew the stats had serious issues. Here are the COVID-19 numbers for today, August 27, 2020.

 

Blurred but otherwise unredacted screenshot here.



 The stats in above Twitter conversation claimed less than 10% of people show symptoms, & only .002% of the people that show symptoms need hospitalization.


So that’s only .002% of 10%, which is the same as 0.0002 per 100 people, which is the same as 2 people in 1,000,000.


These stats claim that only 2 people per million positive coronavirus cases are bad enough to require hospitalization.


If everyone in the US tested positive, that would mean only 656 people hospitalized (and by implication, a smaller amount dying).


THE US HAS HAD ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY THREE THOUSAND (183,000) DEATHS TO DATE FROM COVID-19.


Errors such as this in statistics appear to me to indicate a willful attempt to misinform that in this context I consider criminal.

 



To be fair to the intelligence of Twitter, there were other objections mounted while I was composing:

 


 

Thanks to every one of them.  I wish I knew what goes through a person's mind to willfully misinform.  Actually, maybe I don't want to know.


I do know that that last paragraph I wrote reminds me of so many phrases demonizing people (liberals, SJWs, protesters, antifa, etc.) that I find on far-right platforms.  Usually after coming to conclusions based on erroneous assumptions and faulty logic.  Neither of which are I think at play here, but if they are, please tell me, either in the comments or on Twitter.


Thank you.





Be seeing you.


No comments:

Post a Comment