Johanna Faust, a mixed race Jew, prefers to publish pseudonymously. She is committed: first, to preventing war, ecological disaster, and nuclear apocalypse; last to not only fighting for personal privacy & the freedom of information, but, by representing herself as a soldier in that fight, to exhorting others to do the same. She is a poet, always. All these efforts find representation here: "ah, Mephistophelis" is so named after the last line of Christopher Marlowe's Dr. Faustus, whose heretical success flouted the censor for a time.

Monthly Air Raid Siren Absent, Oakland, CA 8/3/2011



I was going to record the monthly Air Raid Siren for artistic purposes:  I wanted the air raid siren that freaks me out monthly.  There I was with microphones and all: stood up by a symbol for the nuclear annihilation that has haunted us since the Cold War.  


I could hear them off in the distance, very faint.  Must have gone off somewhere in Oakland, but nowhere near me, at any point today.


I did, however, find a treasure trove of recordings of the San Francisco tests...



I previously noted test anomalies here








Be seeing you.

1 comment:

  1. I live in the Hills above Montclair Village and I just heard the siren, it goes off first Wednesday at noon, I expect you could setup in the village and hear it fine.

    -Gil Batzri

    ReplyDelete