|courtesy of cryptome|
Make up your own mind. Take a moment, look at the picture above. Even if you haven't been living under a rock, you might not have yet seen it. Look at that smile. Under what conditions would you smile like that? How about while you were being raided by the Feds? Surrounded by agents of your government, acting under orders to attempt to throw the book at you?
Did you know that Aaron H. Swartz
- had been offered a plea deal of only six months incarceration -- and turned it down?
- had been investigated by the FBI and gotten his dossier and posted it online in 2009?
- wrote the supposed 'suicide note' in 2007, when he was really sick (probably food poisoning), not because he was depressed but to feel better?
- did not do anything normally thought of as hacking in order to download the JSTOR files?
- got the attention nevertheless of the Secret Service, who personally took over his case, evincing a great interest in the hardware upon which the files had been copied?
- was 'killed,' according to his father?
- was not intended to have had the book thrown at him, according to the lawyer for the prosecution?
- joins two other young internet activists fighting for free speech and privacy who have committed suicide recently?
(...and in the above I avoid the more conspiracy-minded, hypothetical, or fringe. In my opinion, or rather, my opinion of what should be the general opinion, which is to say, yours.)
All of this in the links below, and even more, as of what I avoided above I include the choicest yet encountered. All of which I also have made available for download as PDFs, links appended. In case something were to, you know, get, uh, misplaced.
Be seeing you.